Updated 01.03.2020 – Coronavirus situation in Norway
Important information regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19) to athletes, other participants, volunteers and visitors to the FIS Alpine Junior World Ski Championship – Narvik 2020
The outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in many parts of the world makes it necessary to raise the awareness of this virus and the possibility of developing symptoms and spread of the virus during the JWSC in Narvik. As of 1st March 2020 a total of 19 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Norway. Nearly all the cases are associated with travelling to strongly affected areas.
Athletes, other participants, visitors and volunteers who have:
- Recently stayed in areas with ongoing spread of COVID-19 (currently mainland China, Iran, South Korea, Japan and the Italian regions of Lombardia, Piemonte, Emilia-Romagna and Veneto) AND have experienced flu-like symptoms including fever, cough, or difficulty breathing OR
- Have been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
should consult their local health authorities and/or medical team responsible to decide if they should travel to JWSC in Narvik, both for the sake of their own health situation and for the risk of spreading the virus.
Measures to help stop virus like coronavirus spreading
During the championship, everyone should take measures to help stop viruses like coronavirus spreading:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately
Facemasks play an important role in places like hospitals, but there is very little evidence of benefit for members of the public.
Procedures are in place to follow-up persons who may develop symptoms of disease during the championship.
For more information about coronavirus go to the website of NorwgianInstitute of Public Health, NIPH (FHI)
Sverre Håkon Evju,